Murder of Khashoggi: Washington will be asked to account those responsible, ” said Pompeo

Look at this article

The United States will “hold accountable all those involved in the murder of Jamal Khashoggi”, said on Sunday the head of the american diplomacy Mike Pompeo to the crown prince of saudi arabia, believing “that saudi Arabia (or should) do the same”.

  • READ ALSO: The body of Khashoggi thrown into the sewers after having been dissolved

  • READ ALSO: Turkey: gathering in memory of Jamal Khashoggi in Istanbul

In a telephone interview with Mohammed bin Salman, said, “MBS”, Mr. Pompeo has also called for the “end of hostilities” in Yemen as well as in negotiations, said the spokeswoman of the State department, Heather Nauert.

This new message is similar to a change of tone from Washington, which had already pressed Riyadh to elucidate the case Khashoggi, but seemed, so far, given the benefit of the doubt at the MBS, a powerful ally of the United States in the Middle East.

Thursday, Mike Pompeo was and said so publicly satisfied with the cooperation of the saudi authorities to shed light on this crime.

This stiffening of Washington comes a day after statements by the Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdogan, who has claimed to have communicated to the American recordings allegedly made to the saudi consulate in Istanbul on the day of the death of Jamal Khashoggi.

“They have listened to the conversations that have taken place here. They know”, assured Saturday that the Turkish president during a press conference on television.

On Friday, Mr. Erdogan was already supported, in a forum, that the order to murder the journalist saudi emanated “from the highest levels of the government.”

The Turkish president had ruled out the responsibility of king Salman, but had not exonerated, on the other hand, his son, Mohammed bin Salman, is regularly questioned for several weeks by officials and Turkish media.

Friday always, the fiancée of Jamal Khashoggi had called, in a column published in several media, to “take real, serious, and concrete to uncover the truth and bring those responsible to justice”.

Jamal Khashoggi was killed on October 2, inside the saudi consulate in Istanbul.

After having first stated that the journalist had quickly left the consulate, and then argued that he had died in a brawl, Riyadh has come to talk about an “operation not permitted” by the power.

Disengagement in Yemen

During his interview with MBS, Mike Pompeo has also referred to the folder yemeni, ségécé is renewing its call for the “end of hostilities” in the country ravaged by a civil war.

The head of the american diplomacy has also requested that “all parties come to the table to negotiate a peaceful solution to the conflict”.

The war in Yemen between pro-government forces to the rebel Houthis, supported by Iran and who have taken over in 2014 and 2015, large areas of the country, including the capital Sana’a.

In march 2015, a coalition under the leadership of saudi arabia intervened militarily in Yemen in support of the pro-government forces.

Saudi Arabia has been accused, repeatedly, of burrs which claimed the lives of hundreds of civilians.

On Friday, the Washington Post had reported that the United States had decided to stop to refuel the aircraft of the military coalition under the leadership of saudi arabia, putting an end to their support for the more concrete in three years of conflict.

A first manifestation of a shift diplomatic, confirmed, apparently, by the renewed firmness of Mike Pompeo on Sunday.

Logistical support to the coalition was increasingly criticized since the murder of Jamal Khashoggi.

The minister of Defense of Jim Mattis had already called the recently warring sides in Yemen to cease hostilities.

Mr. Pompeo had also previously requested a stop to the air strikes of the coalition led by Riyad “in all the inhabited areas of Yemen”, a reconnaissance in the hollow of the civilian casualties caused by the bombardments.

Share