Pierre Marchand acquitted of rape

Pierre Marchand acquitté de viol

MONTRÉAL — Pierre Marchand, the co-founder of the tv channel MusiquePlus, was acquitted of all the charges leveled against him, including rape of a minor.

The criminal trial of the music producer, was scheduled to begin Wednesday at the palais de justice de Laval, but he will not finally take place.

And this is because the Crown has decided not to file evidence, which put an end to the criminal proceedings Wednesday morning and led to the acquittal of the accused, 60-year-old.

Wednesday, Pierre Marchand says he is greatly relieved of this payment.

He had been accused in 2017 for facts dating back to the early 1980s, when he was aged in his twenties. The complainant was a minor at the time.

Pierre Marchand is committed Wednesday to keep the peace, to have a good conduct and not to approach the complainant during the next three months.

The charges on march 27, 2017 were those of rape, having had sex with a teenage girl, indecent assault and gross indecency.

“I can now turn the page and try to put it behind me for the last eight months,” said the man beside her lawyer Marc-Antoine Carette, Wednesday morning at the courthouse, according to a statement forwarded by his attorney office.

He said the episode has been distressing for him and his family.

“I do not wish anyone to live such a hell,” he said, saying that one has “always kept hope that justice is done”.

Mr. Merchant added that he will be able to return to a normal life and regain what I do best in an industry that I love, the music, the spectacle and the tv”.

Share